Skip to main content

Happy Year of the Horse!

Happy New Years! This year is the Year of the Horse, according to the Japanese Calendar. I celebrated it in full Japanese style, as is only fitting when living in Japan!

I learned how to wear a kimono (sort of...). It was one of the ones I purchased from Kyoto! I borrowed some of the missing pieces from a friend who helped me to put it on. It took a really long time to put everything in place! Almost 40 minutes, if I timed it correctly. Wearing the entire ensemble felt reminiscent of wearing a corset, I was belted in so tightly; it was surprisingly comfortable to wear, though, even if bending down was basically impossible.




I was told that wearing kimonos is a very traditional part of "Hatsumode," or the first visit to a shrine in the new year (English doesn't have a single-word equivalent for this). However, for the entire night, I didn't see a single other person in a kimono! It was a little embarrassing. Still, I visited two shrines (of which none of the photos came out, because I hadn't figured out my camera's nighttime settings yet. Oops.) in this getup before calling it quits due to sore feet in too-small sandals. Changing clothes was definitely a bit of a relief, but I really did like wearing the kimono. I will definitely be doing some shopping to acquire the pieces I need for the complete outfit! 

After I changed clothes, we went to our third and final temple: Himeji Temple, next to Himeji Castle. It was all lit up with very massive lanterns, and there were food stands set up all around it, giving everything a very festive atmosphere! The fried chicken was delicious! (Although I got the super spicy sauce, I am sad to report that it doesn't meet Arizona-standards of spiciness.) It was very crowded, but definitely worth seeing!

I'd like to mention that I spent the evening with some very nice Japanese friends! However, they didn't really know English, and Google Translate, while helpful, is not the most accurate when it comes to what you actually try to say. For example: it hilariously told me that we were going to "stab the bell" instead of "ring the bell"--there were a lot of laughs when I was able to explain (with gestures) what Google was telling us to do. Seriously, what did that poor bell do to deserve getting stabbed? At any rate, the evening was very fun, but a lot of what I experienced was very difficult for Google to convey in English. All that I can suggest is to look into Shinto, the uniquely-Japan religion, for those curious about some of the rituals and traditions I observed. (Yes, I just linked you to Wikipedia. It's great for finding out basic information and to use as a launchpad for more research. It's become a much more credible site than when I first started using it 11 years ago!)


Some of the food stands set up outside of Himeji Temple. They had everything from candied apples and cotton candy to fried octopus tentacles and chocolate covered bananas. (I thought they were hot dogs at first... maybe they were? They were selling chocolate-covered fried chicken, so it's entirely possible!)



Some of the stalls were set up to sell these masks, most of which are either traditional Japanese cartoon characters or more recent and popular ones. Can you spot Thomas the Train? 




Before we entered the temple, everyone had to step over this woven ring. It was very tall. I have no idea why, though. Probably something to do with cleansing the spirit for the new year. 

You could see the lanterns from quite a ways from the entrance! 



The lanterns were really beautiful! 



This is the temple. You throw coins into a special area (underneath what you can see in the photo), clap your hands together into a gesture of prayer, and then pull the rope to ring the bell. Then you clap twice and pray. 


Finally, I was able to observe Shrine Maidens (I think called "Maiko" in Japanese) performing a ritual for the new year. I think it involves transferring energy from the shrine to the person receiving the blessing (which you paid for by buying the 'arrow' with a fortune of some kind on it). The Shrine Maidens were really beautiful! 

Overall, I had a great time celebrating New Years in Japan! I cannot wait until next year, the Year of the Ram, since that is my birth year according to the Chinese Calendar. I'll definitely be loading up on souvenirs, then! I'll probably try wearing a kimono again, too! 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Leaves and Castle Cats

Here's a bunch of long overdue photos from the last two weeks! The autumn leaves have been absolutely stunning! The mountainsides are turning all sorts of colors, which makes them even more stunning than usual. I did my best to photograph the one that you can see from Shirasagi's garden, which is right outside of my apartment. The leaves are finally starting to fall from most of the trees these days, but the colors were beautiful while they lasted! Below are a bunch of photos of the bike paths next to the Himeji Castle Moat, which were surrounded by trees in stunning shades of red and gold. This is definitely the scenic route to get to downtown in Himeji! Unfortunately, I'm still not quite sure of all of the twists and turns through neighborhoods that it involves to get to the back entrance of this pathway, but once I'm on it I can orient myself via the castle.  This area is always full of joggers, bikers, and... cats. Stray cats, for t

Autumn 2014: Himeji Castle and Koko-en

I couldn't resist visiting the Koko-en again! The many different kinds of trees start changing into their autumn colors at different times, so the garden is always different this time of year! It was a sunny day when I stopped by the Koko-en, but a foggy one when I visited Himeji Castle. I still got a few decent photographs, though! Not so much to say this time, so I'll just let the photos do the talking. Himeji Castle A view of the park outside one of the outer moats.  I climbed up the castle walls and got this view of the Koko-en garden from below. It looks stunning! One of the new kittens I've seen hanging around outside the castle. This one has a large chunk of his tail missing... (it's definitely not just a bob-tail cat variety, the photo doesn't show it clearly, though.).  Koko-en

Cherry Blossom Season! Himeji Castle

I don't think words can even begin to describe how incredible Spring has been so far in Japan! It is such a relief to actually be warm for once (which is now in the mid 60's for me). Everything you've ever heard about cherry blossom season in Japan is true: they are absolutely phenomenal! I've been doing a lot of travelling this week to experience the blossoms, and I have taken many photos! I'll sort them by locations, within different posts; all of these photos have been taken between March 29th and April 2nd. I still have some more trips planned for spring vacation, but I'm taking advantage of my first restful evening in the last week. The scaffolding is coming down fast at Himeji Castle! Sometimes you can see the castle peeking through the steel beams, and it still manages to look impressive despite the construction surrounding it. I've visited it twice so far this last week: on one day it was a bit rainy, and today it was just a bit cloudy instead.