Skip to main content

Summer Vacation 2014: Tokyo


Just got back to Himeji after a few days in Tokyo with my brother, and it was pretty fun! We stayed in a hotel that was about a 10 minute walk from the main street of Akihabara, which is pretty much nerd heaven. Yes, I did have--inadvertently--dinner at a maid cafe/barbecue place, and yes, we ate lunch at the Gundam Cafe; you didn't hear it from me, but the bathrooms are super awesome there... although, according to my brother, the mens' toilet was quite a bit different from the ladies'. I definitely don't recall any smoke machines in the girl's room, which now makes me a little bit disappointed. But yeah, if you go to Akihabara, you have to go to the Gundam Cafe, and you have to use the bathroom. It's that amazing! 

Anyways, if you've ever heard anything about Tokyo, you've probably heard about how there are people on the train platforms whose job it is to help cram everyone onto the train. It's true. Rush hour traffic on the trains was pretty ridiculously crowded. It was even worse when we had suitcases to deal with. 

We visited the Emperor's Palace, and the grounds were humongous! We didn't get a chance to view the inner palace grounds, since those tours need to be booked well over a month in advance to get the required security clearances. But the outer grounds were pretty nice. 

We also swung around to the Ueno Zoo, which is famous for its giant pandas. I've never seen one of those before, so it was cool. It was a surprisingly big zoo, and the animals had nicely made exhibits. We went into a vivarium full of various reptiles, and noticed this plexiglass wall that was all stretched up; it took both of us a few moments to realize we were standing about 6 inches away from a massive crocodile that was resting in the water on the other side of the glass. The scratch marks were on account of its prominent teeth scraping along the edges of the tank! In another exhibit, there was a red panda resting in a tree, and as my brother and I stopped to admire it, a crow came and perched itself on the branch by the red panda. The crow hopped a bit, and then suddenly grabbed at the red panda's tail, startling the poor animal out of its nap. It was a pretty funny thing to see! We also watched in envy as a tiger crawled underneath its exhibit's waterfall to escape the heat. The water looked so good; it was a really hot day. 

Overall, though, I was expecting Tokyo to be... bigger, the skyscrapers to be more overwhelming. Maybe I've just gotten used to cities, or else maybe I just went to the wrong parts of Tokyo, but other than the sheer size of the populations, it wasn't as overwhelming as I had imagined it to be. 

Without further ado, a compilation of some of the better photos from my time in Tokyo:


A view from the river behind the hotel, on the walk to Akihabara. 


This is a shot of the "Kyu-Shiba-rikyu Gardens" that my brother and I tripped on while hunting for one of Tokyo's Pokemon Centers. We are both convinced it was the best place we saw in Tokyo, by far. Absolutely a stunning garden! 




I liked how the garden is just smack in the middle of so many big buildings, but still maintained its serenity. It was a very peaceful garden! 




A building along one of the palace moats. It looks a little bit similar to the architecture in Himeji, but reminds me more of Osaka-jo. 


I loved the stone-work in this part of the Imperial Gardens. 


A large shot of the Imperial Gardens; you can't even see the city from here, even though we're in the center of Tokyo.


This was a giant lake covered in lotus plants, nearly as tall as I am. It was around the Ueno Zoo.


Most of the lotuses were still closed, but this one had started to open!


A pretty pavilion inside Ueno Zoo. It was really shiny! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Leaves and Castle Cats

Here's a bunch of long overdue photos from the last two weeks! The autumn leaves have been absolutely stunning! The mountainsides are turning all sorts of colors, which makes them even more stunning than usual. I did my best to photograph the one that you can see from Shirasagi's garden, which is right outside of my apartment. The leaves are finally starting to fall from most of the trees these days, but the colors were beautiful while they lasted! Below are a bunch of photos of the bike paths next to the Himeji Castle Moat, which were surrounded by trees in stunning shades of red and gold. This is definitely the scenic route to get to downtown in Himeji! Unfortunately, I'm still not quite sure of all of the twists and turns through neighborhoods that it involves to get to the back entrance of this pathway, but once I'm on it I can orient myself via the castle.  This area is always full of joggers, bikers, and... cats. Stray cats, for t

Typhoons, Sports Day, and Elementary Schools: One Week Condensed Into a Single Blog Post

It's been awhile since my last post, for which I apologize! Things got rather hectic after I made my last blog post, and it's really taken me until now to feel settled down--and to acquire some videos to share with you all! Let's start with a picture: the entrance to Hirohata Junior High School. I'll have more photos coming soon! First off, let's recap a bit of what happened last week. I wrote about how on Wednesday, I'd be having my first lesson. That was a lie. Instead, I had my first day where the weather was "bad enough" for even teachers to have to leave school early. We had something of a "super storm" that day, with a typhoon making landfall at the same time as a storm front was moving through the area--and rather like Hurricane Sandy, but on a (fortunately) smaller scale, a hybrid super-storm was born. Thankfully, this typhoon had downgraded to a tropical depression by the time it hit Himeji. The weather was still pheno

A Snowy Day in Asago

Yesterday, February 11th, was "Foundation Day" in Japan, which meant that there wasn't school that day. A few of us Phoenician ALT's got together and split money to rent a car, and we drove out to Asago  to see the Takeda Castle Ruins .  When we left Himeji at 6:30am, it was just starting to snow; by the time we had driven north to Asago, the snow was falling much more heavily, with easily several inches sticking to the ground. We could see the Takeda Castle at the top of the mountain, and I could have sworn I could see what looked to be the specks of people walking along it, but due to the snow the route was closed. However, we did climb up as far as we could go, and saw a few shrines and a temple along the way! The snow was well worth it, though none of us were overly prepared for it, considering the forecast had said it would be sunny. We didn't stay in Asago long, and ended up driving to Kobe to go shopping at the Costco. Japanese Costco's aren't