Skip to main content

A Sunny Monday in May


These photos are from a couple of weeks ago, when I had a spare Monday off. It just took me until today to have the internet capabilities to share them! (I know I complain a lot, but seriously, I go through unreliable phases so often these days.)

It's not often that I've been to the Koko-en on such a beautiful day, only to find it empty. There were maybe three other people in the entire garden when I went! The trick is to get there early in the morning, before the buses of tourists have a chance to start arriving. I took advantage of the opportunity to get some more panorama-style shots of the whole garden.



The koi fish were particularly active that morning. I must have just missed feeding time!


One of the stone paths you can use to cross the ponds in the garden. 


A stone bridge over the main koi pond, without any guardrails. Fun times. 


It was May, but for some reason there were a handful of trees in full autumn colors. No complaints from me, because they were stunning! 




I spotted a few water lilies blooming in a small pond. They were a lovely color!


I got an interesting angle on the castle in the distance. 



I also ran into a playful family of cats, and had a blast photographing the kittens as they were dashing around the thickets. Only a handful of those photos came out well, but it was fun watching them wrestle with each other.





I will be doing a lot of travelling in July, since I'll be taking nearly the entire summer vacation off, and then some, as I get ready to leave Japan (on July 28th! Wow!). So while the next month or so will be slow, posting-wise, I'll try to make up for it in my final weeks in the country.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Leaves and Castle Cats

Here's a bunch of long overdue photos from the last two weeks! The autumn leaves have been absolutely stunning! The mountainsides are turning all sorts of colors, which makes them even more stunning than usual. I did my best to photograph the one that you can see from Shirasagi's garden, which is right outside of my apartment. The leaves are finally starting to fall from most of the trees these days, but the colors were beautiful while they lasted! Below are a bunch of photos of the bike paths next to the Himeji Castle Moat, which were surrounded by trees in stunning shades of red and gold. This is definitely the scenic route to get to downtown in Himeji! Unfortunately, I'm still not quite sure of all of the twists and turns through neighborhoods that it involves to get to the back entrance of this pathway, but once I'm on it I can orient myself via the castle.  This area is always full of joggers, bikers, and... cats. Stray cats, for t

Typhoons, Sports Day, and Elementary Schools: One Week Condensed Into a Single Blog Post

It's been awhile since my last post, for which I apologize! Things got rather hectic after I made my last blog post, and it's really taken me until now to feel settled down--and to acquire some videos to share with you all! Let's start with a picture: the entrance to Hirohata Junior High School. I'll have more photos coming soon! First off, let's recap a bit of what happened last week. I wrote about how on Wednesday, I'd be having my first lesson. That was a lie. Instead, I had my first day where the weather was "bad enough" for even teachers to have to leave school early. We had something of a "super storm" that day, with a typhoon making landfall at the same time as a storm front was moving through the area--and rather like Hurricane Sandy, but on a (fortunately) smaller scale, a hybrid super-storm was born. Thankfully, this typhoon had downgraded to a tropical depression by the time it hit Himeji. The weather was still pheno

A Snowy Day in Asago

Yesterday, February 11th, was "Foundation Day" in Japan, which meant that there wasn't school that day. A few of us Phoenician ALT's got together and split money to rent a car, and we drove out to Asago  to see the Takeda Castle Ruins .  When we left Himeji at 6:30am, it was just starting to snow; by the time we had driven north to Asago, the snow was falling much more heavily, with easily several inches sticking to the ground. We could see the Takeda Castle at the top of the mountain, and I could have sworn I could see what looked to be the specks of people walking along it, but due to the snow the route was closed. However, we did climb up as far as we could go, and saw a few shrines and a temple along the way! The snow was well worth it, though none of us were overly prepared for it, considering the forecast had said it would be sunny. We didn't stay in Asago long, and ended up driving to Kobe to go shopping at the Costco. Japanese Costco's aren't