Skip to main content

Mt. Shosha, One Final Time!


There haven't been too many non-rainy days lately, so a couple weeks ago when there was a clear Sunday, I took advantage of it to climb Mt. Shosha one last time. I also needed more of an excuse to play with my new camera, too! Spending five hours on the mountain photographing everything definitely helped me to figure out more of my menu settings. It was a cloudy day, but occasionally the sun broke through. 

First, some photos of Himeji spread out beneath Mt. Shosha! There are several points on the trail where you can get really great views of the city. Sometimes, on clear days, it's easy to spot the ocean; from some angles, you can even see Himeji Castle and Nagoyama Temple, though you'll need binoculars to get a clear view of them. 





The ropeway cable cars come in two designs: Kuroda Kanbei, or Shiromaru-hime. Here's a photo of the latter, soaring over the city she represents! 



Last year, I attempted to photograph all of the buddha statues lining the trail. But I missed two of them... so I decided, what better way to try out my camera than by making another attempt? This time I succeeded with all of the statues! So, here they are, in order from the start of the trail to the end. 









Some of the statues bore handmade prayer bracelets, like this one above. I have no idea who puts them on the statues; perhaps visitors, maybe pilgrims, or even the monks who live on the mountain?




I've climbed Mt. Shosha more times than I can count (nearly 20, perhaps?), but this was the first time I've seen scarves draped on the statues. It was incredibly beautiful! 













Yes... he's riding a turtle. 



This has always been my favorite of the statues, because it always looks so... sassy. The scarf was a brilliant addition. 








And finally... some pictures of the temples! The most important part, right? 

I re-watched "The Last Samurai" recently, since it was added to Netflix. I recognized all of the temples they shot at, especially all of the Mt. Shosha scenes (and there were a lot of those). It was also weird, because the village and its location is nowhere near the mountain, and the terrain of it is totally off; but I only noticed that because of how much time I've spent in the area. 

Tom Cruise is as unlikable as ever, though, but he's pretty popular here in Himeji. It's pretty common to be asked if you like him, and then they think I'm a weird foreigner when I say that I don't... 


The first gate from the trail. Inside are two angry buddha statues, who traditionally protected the sanctity of the mountain from women. Oops. 


Not too many flowers this time of year on Mt. Shosha, but I had to try photographing these teeny ones I spotted! 








This is a really big tree between the two main temples. It would take several people to wrap their arms around its trunk. It's sort of fenced off, and there's Japanese signs explaining something important about it, but I couldn't tell you what. 


In case you don't recognize it, here's the main temple from "The Last Samurai." 


This is most likely the last time I will be going to Mt. Shosha before I leave Japan on the 28th. I will definitely miss it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Leaves and Castle Cats

Here's a bunch of long overdue photos from the last two weeks! The autumn leaves have been absolutely stunning! The mountainsides are turning all sorts of colors, which makes them even more stunning than usual. I did my best to photograph the one that you can see from Shirasagi's garden, which is right outside of my apartment. The leaves are finally starting to fall from most of the trees these days, but the colors were beautiful while they lasted! Below are a bunch of photos of the bike paths next to the Himeji Castle Moat, which were surrounded by trees in stunning shades of red and gold. This is definitely the scenic route to get to downtown in Himeji! Unfortunately, I'm still not quite sure of all of the twists and turns through neighborhoods that it involves to get to the back entrance of this pathway, but once I'm on it I can orient myself via the castle.  This area is always full of joggers, bikers, and... cats. Stray cats, for t

Typhoons, Sports Day, and Elementary Schools: One Week Condensed Into a Single Blog Post

It's been awhile since my last post, for which I apologize! Things got rather hectic after I made my last blog post, and it's really taken me until now to feel settled down--and to acquire some videos to share with you all! Let's start with a picture: the entrance to Hirohata Junior High School. I'll have more photos coming soon! First off, let's recap a bit of what happened last week. I wrote about how on Wednesday, I'd be having my first lesson. That was a lie. Instead, I had my first day where the weather was "bad enough" for even teachers to have to leave school early. We had something of a "super storm" that day, with a typhoon making landfall at the same time as a storm front was moving through the area--and rather like Hurricane Sandy, but on a (fortunately) smaller scale, a hybrid super-storm was born. Thankfully, this typhoon had downgraded to a tropical depression by the time it hit Himeji. The weather was still pheno

A Snowy Day in Asago

Yesterday, February 11th, was "Foundation Day" in Japan, which meant that there wasn't school that day. A few of us Phoenician ALT's got together and split money to rent a car, and we drove out to Asago  to see the Takeda Castle Ruins .  When we left Himeji at 6:30am, it was just starting to snow; by the time we had driven north to Asago, the snow was falling much more heavily, with easily several inches sticking to the ground. We could see the Takeda Castle at the top of the mountain, and I could have sworn I could see what looked to be the specks of people walking along it, but due to the snow the route was closed. However, we did climb up as far as we could go, and saw a few shrines and a temple along the way! The snow was well worth it, though none of us were overly prepared for it, considering the forecast had said it would be sunny. We didn't stay in Asago long, and ended up driving to Kobe to go shopping at the Costco. Japanese Costco's aren't