Skip to main content

Fun Times at Nada Fighting Festival!

It was a cold, wet, rainy day, but that didn't stop everyone from coming out and enjoying the Nada Kenka Matsuri this year. I was only able to really enjoy the first day, but here's some neat photos from the event. I had a pretty good vantage point and was mostly sheltered from the rain, so I was able to relax and watch without getting trampled in the massive crowds. 

Some mini shrines would precede the larger portable shrines (yatai), and they'd move very, very quickly. 

It takes a lot of men to lift these shrines, particularly with four drummers sitting on the inside (and the drum itself weighs quite a bit!). 

The yatai were all too large to actually enter the gate into the main temple complex. So, ladders would be brought out and the top screwed off to safely drag the yatai through the gate. 

Seven different neighborhoods "compete" during the Fighting Festival, and each neighborhood is represented by a different color. 

Younger boys, not quite old enough to carry the yatai, still have a chance to participate in the festival. I call this group the "Whistle Brigade" because they were all armed with whistles and blew them incessantly as they cleared the way for their yatai. I hope they were wearing earplugs. 

I felt sorry for most of the men participating in this festival. Wearing a fundoshi (traditional Japanese loin cloth) doesn't look particularly comfortable, nor can carrying these massive shrines around be easy. 

Yes, two lion dances happened simultaneously on top of this mini shrine as it moved at rapid speed towards the gate. It was cool to watch for sure! 

Occasionally two or three neighborhoods' yatai would be in the area at the same time, and that usually led to a dance-off. Seriously, that's the best way to describe this phenomena. The shrines are concurrently lifted and jostled and are pushed together as close as the men can. It's pretty dangerous for everyone involved, spectators included. 

The shrines themselves are ornate and cost an amazing amount of money. It takes about a year before a new yatai can be lacquered and gilded. They last about ten years, and then the neighborhood saves up to get a new one. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Leaves and Castle Cats

Here's a bunch of long overdue photos from the last two weeks! The autumn leaves have been absolutely stunning! The mountainsides are turning all sorts of colors, which makes them even more stunning than usual. I did my best to photograph the one that you can see from Shirasagi's garden, which is right outside of my apartment. The leaves are finally starting to fall from most of the trees these days, but the colors were beautiful while they lasted! Below are a bunch of photos of the bike paths next to the Himeji Castle Moat, which were surrounded by trees in stunning shades of red and gold. This is definitely the scenic route to get to downtown in Himeji! Unfortunately, I'm still not quite sure of all of the twists and turns through neighborhoods that it involves to get to the back entrance of this pathway, but once I'm on it I can orient myself via the castle.  This area is always full of joggers, bikers, and... cats. Stray cats, for t

Typhoons, Sports Day, and Elementary Schools: One Week Condensed Into a Single Blog Post

It's been awhile since my last post, for which I apologize! Things got rather hectic after I made my last blog post, and it's really taken me until now to feel settled down--and to acquire some videos to share with you all! Let's start with a picture: the entrance to Hirohata Junior High School. I'll have more photos coming soon! First off, let's recap a bit of what happened last week. I wrote about how on Wednesday, I'd be having my first lesson. That was a lie. Instead, I had my first day where the weather was "bad enough" for even teachers to have to leave school early. We had something of a "super storm" that day, with a typhoon making landfall at the same time as a storm front was moving through the area--and rather like Hurricane Sandy, but on a (fortunately) smaller scale, a hybrid super-storm was born. Thankfully, this typhoon had downgraded to a tropical depression by the time it hit Himeji. The weather was still pheno

Autumn 2014: Himeji Castle and Koko-en

I couldn't resist visiting the Koko-en again! The many different kinds of trees start changing into their autumn colors at different times, so the garden is always different this time of year! It was a sunny day when I stopped by the Koko-en, but a foggy one when I visited Himeji Castle. I still got a few decent photographs, though! Not so much to say this time, so I'll just let the photos do the talking. Himeji Castle A view of the park outside one of the outer moats.  I climbed up the castle walls and got this view of the Koko-en garden from below. It looks stunning! One of the new kittens I've seen hanging around outside the castle. This one has a large chunk of his tail missing... (it's definitely not just a bob-tail cat variety, the photo doesn't show it clearly, though.).  Koko-en