Skip to main content

Shinzaike Honcho Festival, Friendship Festival, and the Countryside!


Lots of photos and a few videos incoming!

The Shinzaike Honcho Festival was the local neighborhood festival. The shrine was just down the street from Shirasagi, and all of us ALT's walked to it. It was a lot of fun! Three other neighborhoods were also having their festivals at the same time, which meant that we ran into their portable shrines along the way now and then. Everything culminated at the park on top of the hill next to Shirasagi, with performances by the kids and some portable shrine "dancing."

The portable shrine was alternately carried and pushed/pulled along the route we took, which circled through most of the area around the Shinzaike Honcho main street. We marched in lines behind the portable shrine, chanting "Yo Ya Sa" along the way (the equivalent of "heave ho!").

 The entrance to the shrine. 





(^ Some detailed photos of the portable shrine. ^)
(A lion dance performance at the start of the festival.)
(The first time the shrine is carried. They would jostle it many times along the way!)
 (This little dog was the star of the festival. His little coat looks like the ones we were all wearing!)


 (A shot of three of the shrines from the four neighborhoods.)

(The kids wore some cute costumes for their performances!)


Himeji Friendship Festival

This festival celebrates the city of Himeji's relationship with other countries, like Peru, the USA, and Australia. I'd guess that approximately 20 different cultures were represented at this festival. We were right across the street from Himeji Castle, so quite a few tourists stopped by for an unexpected treat along the way.

There was food for each country represented here. I finally had some tacos for the first time since I've been in Japan! And some fantastic curry... and lots of tasty food, really.

I didn't get a chance to photograph too much, since I was volunteering at the Language Booth, where you could pay to speak with a "tutor" for 10 minutes in English, Korean, or Chinese. It was a very interesting experience, because every student I had was at very different levels of English. One of my elementary school students was waiting for me when my shift began, having found out I would be there; since I'd just had her class on the Thursday a few days before, I did a 10-minute review of what we had worked on in class. I also had a "lesson" with an Australian university student, who had inadvertently been made to sign up for English lessons, much to her friends' amusement.

 (A shot of the big dining area in front of the stage.)
 (Two mascots from the festival. The white puff ball is the mascot for the city of Himeji, and you'll see her logo on any important city documents. No idea who the samurai is supposed to represent, though.)
 (Some students performing a Vietnamese Lion Dance.)
(A shot of a park next to the festival, the leaves are starting to turn colors!)

The Countryside

I went out and visited one of my elementary schools, Yamada, for the first time. It involved a bus ride that was over an hour long! The streets would get so narrow sometimes, that any cars coming in the opposite direction would have to stop and pull way over to allow the bus to go through. There were some very close shaves! 

It seemed like a good opportunity to show some photos of what a Japanese "countryside" can look like! The beauty of this area was really incredible! 
(The view from the Teacher's Room in the school.)

(A shot of the back of the school and the playground. This was the one main building, as well as a small gym behind it.) 

(A small farm growing next to the bus stop.)




Miscellaneous

Just thought I'd throw in a few photos from a restaurant I went to for the Music Festival Enkai. (I'll post more about Hirohata's Music Festival another time!) We had Pufferfish Nabe, or hotpot. A giant pot was set on the center of a table, where the water would then boil, and you could add ingredients to it as you wanted to. Pufferfish is extremely toxic, and only certified chefs are allowed to prepare it. (Read more about fugu here!) 


There was a giant tank of the pufferfish outside of the restaurant, which is on the main street downtown, near the JR Station. 

I learned how the best way to tell your fugu is fresh:


That piece of meat was described as being "pikupiku," and it kept twitching for a good five minutes. Eventually, it was added to the boiling water, with a triumphant "No more pikupiku!

I won't lie, I mostly ate the boiled lettuce, onions, and mushrooms. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Leaves and Castle Cats

Here's a bunch of long overdue photos from the last two weeks! The autumn leaves have been absolutely stunning! The mountainsides are turning all sorts of colors, which makes them even more stunning than usual. I did my best to photograph the one that you can see from Shirasagi's garden, which is right outside of my apartment. The leaves are finally starting to fall from most of the trees these days, but the colors were beautiful while they lasted! Below are a bunch of photos of the bike paths next to the Himeji Castle Moat, which were surrounded by trees in stunning shades of red and gold. This is definitely the scenic route to get to downtown in Himeji! Unfortunately, I'm still not quite sure of all of the twists and turns through neighborhoods that it involves to get to the back entrance of this pathway, but once I'm on it I can orient myself via the castle.  This area is always full of joggers, bikers, and... cats. Stray cats, for t

Cherry Blossom Season! Himeji Castle

I don't think words can even begin to describe how incredible Spring has been so far in Japan! It is such a relief to actually be warm for once (which is now in the mid 60's for me). Everything you've ever heard about cherry blossom season in Japan is true: they are absolutely phenomenal! I've been doing a lot of travelling this week to experience the blossoms, and I have taken many photos! I'll sort them by locations, within different posts; all of these photos have been taken between March 29th and April 2nd. I still have some more trips planned for spring vacation, but I'm taking advantage of my first restful evening in the last week. The scaffolding is coming down fast at Himeji Castle! Sometimes you can see the castle peeking through the steel beams, and it still manages to look impressive despite the construction surrounding it. I've visited it twice so far this last week: on one day it was a bit rainy, and today it was just a bit cloudy instead.

Autumn 2014: Himeji Castle and Koko-en

I couldn't resist visiting the Koko-en again! The many different kinds of trees start changing into their autumn colors at different times, so the garden is always different this time of year! It was a sunny day when I stopped by the Koko-en, but a foggy one when I visited Himeji Castle. I still got a few decent photographs, though! Not so much to say this time, so I'll just let the photos do the talking. Himeji Castle A view of the park outside one of the outer moats.  I climbed up the castle walls and got this view of the Koko-en garden from below. It looks stunning! One of the new kittens I've seen hanging around outside the castle. This one has a large chunk of his tail missing... (it's definitely not just a bob-tail cat variety, the photo doesn't show it clearly, though.).  Koko-en