Skip to main content

Mt. Shosha Photos

I visited Mt. Shosha over the three-day-weekend! It was quite a climb; thankfully there were walking sticks you could borrow for free at the bottom. It had just stopped raining a few hours before, so everything was still very misty and very slippery. I took tons of pictures, but the mist made the lighting tricky, so not too many of them came out. My camera skills are improving, but it's a definite work in progress!

At the start of the trip, at the base of the mountain, a man let us into his backyard to see his traditional Japanese Garden. This was a moss garden; the green stuff on the ground isn't grass, it's moss.



 The garden was so beautiful, it was hard to believe it was just his backyard.
 It was a work of art, in my opinion! 


 Here's a shot of the trail up the mountain, probably the easiest part of it. It was mostly dominated by precarious switchbacks with rocky paths, that were, of course, slippery from the rain. 



 Once you got to the top of the mountain you could notice how the trees were starting to put on their autumn colors. The top of Mt. Shosha is home to about 33 temples, most of which were built around 1,000 years ago. Many Buddhist monks still live, train, and study up here, as they have for the last millennium. 




The main path of Mt. Shosha was lined with replicas of the Buddha statues at the heart of the 33 temples. This meant there were 33 miniatures to photograph, which ended up feeling rather like a scavenger hunt. These were a few of my favorites of the photos I took! 






 Can you spot the "Free Wi-Fi" sign in the above photo? 
This beautiful building is apparently an office building! 





 This is the main temple on Mt. Shosha; it's the biggest and most spectacular one! It's built on a raised platform, and apparently marks the spot of a sacred Cherry Tree where a living statue was once carved. Only the stump remains of that tree, underneath the foundations of the platform. 





 This dragon fountain was at the entrance to the temple. You are supposed to purify yourself by rinsing your hands and mouth with the water before entering the temple. 



 Shortly after this point, as we made our way to the temples that were filmed in The Last Samurai, we were hit with a sudden downpour. We managed to take shelter in a nearby tea house due to the kindness of the women working there, and in the nick of time too, because as soon as we got inside the rain started to really come down! 




 The above photos were some of the better shots of some smaller temples we went by on the way to the ones from The Last Samurai. 

Unfortunately, as to the three temples themselves, very few of my photos came out, due to the rain and mist. Maybe, though, some of you will still recognize the last of these photos from the movie! I started tinkering with my camera presets right before my battery died (which I think I might acquire a second battery for, considering its tendency to die after my first few hundred photos). I definitely plan to go back to Mt. Shosha again, it's simply too stunning a place not to! 







Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Leaves and Castle Cats

Here's a bunch of long overdue photos from the last two weeks! The autumn leaves have been absolutely stunning! The mountainsides are turning all sorts of colors, which makes them even more stunning than usual. I did my best to photograph the one that you can see from Shirasagi's garden, which is right outside of my apartment. The leaves are finally starting to fall from most of the trees these days, but the colors were beautiful while they lasted! Below are a bunch of photos of the bike paths next to the Himeji Castle Moat, which were surrounded by trees in stunning shades of red and gold. This is definitely the scenic route to get to downtown in Himeji! Unfortunately, I'm still not quite sure of all of the twists and turns through neighborhoods that it involves to get to the back entrance of this pathway, but once I'm on it I can orient myself via the castle.  This area is always full of joggers, bikers, and... cats. Stray cats, for t

Typhoons, Sports Day, and Elementary Schools: One Week Condensed Into a Single Blog Post

It's been awhile since my last post, for which I apologize! Things got rather hectic after I made my last blog post, and it's really taken me until now to feel settled down--and to acquire some videos to share with you all! Let's start with a picture: the entrance to Hirohata Junior High School. I'll have more photos coming soon! First off, let's recap a bit of what happened last week. I wrote about how on Wednesday, I'd be having my first lesson. That was a lie. Instead, I had my first day where the weather was "bad enough" for even teachers to have to leave school early. We had something of a "super storm" that day, with a typhoon making landfall at the same time as a storm front was moving through the area--and rather like Hurricane Sandy, but on a (fortunately) smaller scale, a hybrid super-storm was born. Thankfully, this typhoon had downgraded to a tropical depression by the time it hit Himeji. The weather was still pheno

Autumn 2014: Himeji Castle and Koko-en

I couldn't resist visiting the Koko-en again! The many different kinds of trees start changing into their autumn colors at different times, so the garden is always different this time of year! It was a sunny day when I stopped by the Koko-en, but a foggy one when I visited Himeji Castle. I still got a few decent photographs, though! Not so much to say this time, so I'll just let the photos do the talking. Himeji Castle A view of the park outside one of the outer moats.  I climbed up the castle walls and got this view of the Koko-en garden from below. It looks stunning! One of the new kittens I've seen hanging around outside the castle. This one has a large chunk of his tail missing... (it's definitely not just a bob-tail cat variety, the photo doesn't show it clearly, though.).  Koko-en