Skip to main content

Autumn 2014: Kyoto


I spent all day on the 22nd in Kyoto. I went to so many places that I cannot honestly remember the names of them all. I will try my best to be accurate, but it was pretty overwhelming. I also was able to en joy a performance by a Maiko, or apprentice Geisha. She was very beautiful!

The weather was great, in fact is got pretty toasty in the afternoon. The crowds, though, were a bit obnoxious. I've come to expect big crowds in Kyoto, but it still comes as an unpleasant surprise every time I visit.

Be warned, I took a lot of photographs!

Fushimi Inari Shrine

Our first stop was the Fushimi Inari Shrine. This was actually many shrines, all along a gorgeous mountain trail that I did not have the time to enjoy fully (perhaps again, during a non-peak tourist season). Inari is the Shinto god of rice, and the messenger for this spirit is the fox. Thus, there were foxes everywhere, as well as the red coloring that goes with this god. You will see many Inari shrines throughout Japan, always with a red torii gate and fox guardians, but this one is apparently the most important of all. Despite the crowds, it was a lovely temple! 


The main gate, with a large torii gate preceding it. Behind it was the main temple. 


One of the fox guardians in front of the main gate. This one is holding something in its mouth (not sure what, sorry!). 


A shot showing the crowds, and the main temple. 


A view of the main temple lanterns. It was beautiful up close! 


The roofs of the buildings were really ornate! 


Another fox guardian. This one has some kind of ball in its mouth. 



There is a fox statue inside that lantern, and it looked gorgeous framed with the autumn leaves. 


Fushimi Inari Shrine is famous for its long tunnels of massive torii gates. Here's what it looked like (crowds and all). 


The effect of the rows and rows of gates was pretty neat. 


Inside it could get pretty dark, as the light had a difficult time filtering through both the trees and gate tops. 


This particular spot, where two paths of torii tunnels converge, is really famous. Alas, it was also extremely crowded. I want to come back and get a photo without any people in it! 






One of a handful of stone torii gates in this area. It was really really big! 


Mystery Area #1

I have no clue where this was. I got pretty turned around traveling through Kyoto with a group of ALTs, and it wasn't long before I had no idea where I was because I was too busy trying to not get too far behind with my incessant photographing. I missed out on a lot of the tour information that way, which would be a shame if I hadn't been too busy enjoying the beautiful scenery. So, where ever this place was, it was stunning. It wasn't nearly as crowded as other areas of Kyoto, but the autumn leaves were the most spectacular I've seen yet! 


This small shrine was attached to a larger temple with a famous Buddha statue inside. The buddha has a "bloodstain" around its neck, where it's throat had been cut. There's a lot of legends behind this particular buddha involving the cut. It was very impressive! (No photographs allowed.)


Above the aforementioned shrine, maybe a 15 minute hike away, there was a beautiful maple grove surrounding some lovely temples. The maples were densely grown together, and they were all in full colors. With the sun filtering through the leaves, it was beyond breathtaking! 


There was a large pavilion midst the trees. With its red-painted finish, it blended in with the maple leaves. 


I liked this statue, he has children hugging his legs. He looked great with the leaves! 




The view from the pavilion. How would you like to see this every day? 


A two-story pagoda was peeking out from the forest. 


After I climbed up the mountain a bit more, I was able to get a closer look at it. 


This statue was gorgeous, too! 



Continuing along Mystery Area #1, or rather the third part of said unknown area, was a large temple complex that required payment to enter. Inside were large temples. They were beautiful on the outside, but I have no idea what was on the inside. 


Within the temple complex was another pay-to-enter area, which I believe is/was a vacation house of the imperial family. The rooms were pretty boring, though full of history. But the true draw of this area was the garden! Visitors can sit on the veranda and admire an absolutely gorgeous garden! 


It was definitely worth the extra yen just to admire this beautiful place. I just wish I could have walked inside of it! 

Maiko Performance

We were privileged to be able to witness a performance by a real maiko, or apprentice geisha, in the Gion district of Kyoto. Not just anyone can see one, it apparently requires some serious personal connections with an establishment in order to see a maiko; seeing a real geisha requires even more connections and a whole lot of money (talking about thousands of dollars).

 This maiko has only just started her five-year journey of becoming a geisha. She's been a maiko for less than a year, and was only 17 years old. She dreamed of becoming a geisha when she saw some maiko during a visit to Kyoto as a junior high school student. 

Girls typically become maiko when they are 15 years old, after finishing junior high school. During the first year they cannot go home or even mention their family. After that, they may have a couple of days holiday a year to return home, but their behaviors must be attuned to the proper image of a geisha. Maiko do not use wig pieces in their hair, so they usually only change their hairstyles every 5 days or so. They do their make-up and clothing themselves, and so this can take varying amounts of times depending on the individual maiko. They aren't paid until they pass their apprenticeship and become Geisha. Once married, they must retire as geisha (although apparently having children is okay). 

Photographs were allowed, but no videos. And only those whose cameras made no noise (such as myself) could photograph her during her dance routine. The lighting was a bit difficult, but I was able to get some photos that captured the spirit of a maiko


As a brand new maiko, only her bottom lip can be painted red. Also, her eyebrows and eyelashes were painted red to signify her rank. 


Since it's autumn, her hair ornaments and kimono are representative of the season. 


Maiko's have long trailing obi in the back, which helps distinguish them from geisha


During her dance. It was quite powerful! 


When dancing, you forgot that she was just a teenage girl. But then she would laugh and smile nervously while answering questions, and I remembered that she was the same age as my students. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Leaves and Castle Cats

Here's a bunch of long overdue photos from the last two weeks! The autumn leaves have been absolutely stunning! The mountainsides are turning all sorts of colors, which makes them even more stunning than usual. I did my best to photograph the one that you can see from Shirasagi's garden, which is right outside of my apartment. The leaves are finally starting to fall from most of the trees these days, but the colors were beautiful while they lasted! Below are a bunch of photos of the bike paths next to the Himeji Castle Moat, which were surrounded by trees in stunning shades of red and gold. This is definitely the scenic route to get to downtown in Himeji! Unfortunately, I'm still not quite sure of all of the twists and turns through neighborhoods that it involves to get to the back entrance of this pathway, but once I'm on it I can orient myself via the castle.  This area is always full of joggers, bikers, and... cats. Stray cats, for t

Typhoons, Sports Day, and Elementary Schools: One Week Condensed Into a Single Blog Post

It's been awhile since my last post, for which I apologize! Things got rather hectic after I made my last blog post, and it's really taken me until now to feel settled down--and to acquire some videos to share with you all! Let's start with a picture: the entrance to Hirohata Junior High School. I'll have more photos coming soon! First off, let's recap a bit of what happened last week. I wrote about how on Wednesday, I'd be having my first lesson. That was a lie. Instead, I had my first day where the weather was "bad enough" for even teachers to have to leave school early. We had something of a "super storm" that day, with a typhoon making landfall at the same time as a storm front was moving through the area--and rather like Hurricane Sandy, but on a (fortunately) smaller scale, a hybrid super-storm was born. Thankfully, this typhoon had downgraded to a tropical depression by the time it hit Himeji. The weather was still pheno

Phoenix Sister Cities

This wonderful opportunity to teach in Japan was only made possible thanks to Phoenix Sister Cities ! I had always heard good things about the program, and every now and then would read about them in the Arizona Republic. They're way more supportive than the JET program, with all of the teachers (both Phoenician and Australian) living in the same apartment complex: The Shirasagi Residence.  Whereas the JET Program just dumps participants all over Japan--even expecting them to find their own apartment--PSC allows us to live in a community with the other awesome English teachers. The interview for PSC was pretty stressful, though. I was told the entire process would take about an hour, but quite honestly I was done in about 25 minutes. "You have 14 minutes to answer 10 questions, go!" "You have 10 minutes to plan a lesson, go!" (This is totally true, by the way.) Weirdest interview question: "How comfortable are you with trying new foods?" Th