Skip to main content

Autumn 2014: Nara


I went to Nara for the first time (finally)! I've been meaning to go since last year, but always wound up getting side tracked. It was well worth the wait, though. I spent the whole day there (arrived at 9:30, left around 3:45), and I still didn't see everything that I wanted to see. Alas, my fully-charged camera couldn't withstand a couple more hours of photographing, so I didn't try too hard to find a couple of gardens I had heard about once it ran out of batteries. I'll just have to go again during Spring!

Since I was on my own, I mostly just wandered wherever I found something interesting; which, with a whole mountain area to explore, meant that I didn't find everything. I also have no idea what half of the places I found are called, so I'll just let my photos speak for themselves.

Nara is famous for the deer that wander through the temples and shrines. They were quite literally everywhere. I couldn't turn my head without spotting at least four or five deer in a given area. They were pretty tame, being well used to tourists feeding them deer crackers, photographing them, and even petting them. Some of the deer have even learned how to bow for their crackers (really more of a jerk of their heads up and down, but still pretty cool). Since it's late autumn, the bucks have shed their antlers, but their heavier bulk and coats still makes it easy to differentiate them from the does. The deer weren't very big, typically their heads came up to my chest. It was a lot of fun seeing them wander around everywhere, though; there were deer-crossing signs everywhere along the streets. And droppings. Deer droppings are omnipresent, so I definitely recommend wearing shoes that can withstand the gunk.

I took a lot of photos... so this may be a slower post to load than is typical.


I came across this temple just barely into the main Nara Park area. It was very peaceful. 


This is a detail of the roof of the above temple. It's very ornate!


This is a three-story pagoda. I was actually able to photograph it, since the lighting was just right! 



This is a five story pagoda, that was not so cooperative about being photographed. 

 


The first of many deer spotted. 


Oh look, another deer! He was quite calmly napping in the middle of a crowd. 


More deer... and people admiring them. 


One of many red torii gates. This one didn't seem to lead to anywhere in particular. 



There were several lakes that I encountered in the Nara park area. Not sure which one this was, but it was very calm and pretty! 


Another view of the lake, with mountains behind it. 


This deer kept rolling in the mud, and didn't particularly want to stay still long enough to be photographed. 


And another deer! 


I think that building is a hotel. It's not actually an old building, but a more modern take of an old-style building. It was quite lovely all the same! 


More deer! This one seemed perplexed about my camera. 



This was a lovely pavilion on another lake. Lots of people had set up easels and were painting it from all around the lake.


This mother was very patiently trying to photograph her two formally-clad children. I had too much fun watching their antics. And they looked great! There were a lot of young children, boys and girls, in full ceremonial kimonos visiting some of the temples and shrines. I imagine it's related to the 7-5-3 traditions (the 7th, 5th, and 3rd years are very important birthdays). 


The pavilion again. It was truly lovely! 


I think this is a museum building. I think. It's pretty, but I didn't go in. 


This deer soon attracted a lot of paparazzi trying to photograph it standing in front of the lanterns. It moved on pretty quickly! 


Everywhere you turn, deer! 


This pathway was lined with tons of lanterns (and deer), which made for a nice hike. 


I stopped briefly in a botanical garden, but didn't stay long. It was all set up for a night LED display, which meant there were cables everywhere; unlit lights aren't too exciting in the daytime! 




A lion-dog guardian in front of a very-yellow ginkgo tree and a torii gate. 


A view from the red temple's veranda (none of the direct photos of it came out well, oops)! 


Kasuga Taisha Temple is very famous for its lanterns, but most people were there with their kimono-clad children to get a blessing. Lots of kids underfoot in very beautiful clothes! 



A bunch of deer had gathered in this maple-surrounded pond, and I took full advantage of this great photo opportunity! 



I wasn't the only one enjoying the view. Some of the children liked to run into the water to play with the deer. 


A wooden gate in front of the main gate to Todaiji Temple. 


The walkway to Todaiji Temple. 



The main gate for Todaiji Temple. It was huge! 


Todaiji Temple itself. Crowded, but still beautiful. It's huge! 


Another view of Todaiji. Inside was an absolutely massive Buddha statue. Seriously, it felt like the little finger on the Buddha's hand was the same height as me! It was truly breathtaking. 



Not sure which building this is. I tripped on it after Todaiji. It was pretty! 


Behind the building photographed above was a stairway, which led to the terrace of an even larger temple. 


From the aforementioned terrace, there was a lovely view of Nara and Todaiji below. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Leaves and Castle Cats

Here's a bunch of long overdue photos from the last two weeks! The autumn leaves have been absolutely stunning! The mountainsides are turning all sorts of colors, which makes them even more stunning than usual. I did my best to photograph the one that you can see from Shirasagi's garden, which is right outside of my apartment. The leaves are finally starting to fall from most of the trees these days, but the colors were beautiful while they lasted! Below are a bunch of photos of the bike paths next to the Himeji Castle Moat, which were surrounded by trees in stunning shades of red and gold. This is definitely the scenic route to get to downtown in Himeji! Unfortunately, I'm still not quite sure of all of the twists and turns through neighborhoods that it involves to get to the back entrance of this pathway, but once I'm on it I can orient myself via the castle.  This area is always full of joggers, bikers, and... cats. Stray cats, for t

Typhoons, Sports Day, and Elementary Schools: One Week Condensed Into a Single Blog Post

It's been awhile since my last post, for which I apologize! Things got rather hectic after I made my last blog post, and it's really taken me until now to feel settled down--and to acquire some videos to share with you all! Let's start with a picture: the entrance to Hirohata Junior High School. I'll have more photos coming soon! First off, let's recap a bit of what happened last week. I wrote about how on Wednesday, I'd be having my first lesson. That was a lie. Instead, I had my first day where the weather was "bad enough" for even teachers to have to leave school early. We had something of a "super storm" that day, with a typhoon making landfall at the same time as a storm front was moving through the area--and rather like Hurricane Sandy, but on a (fortunately) smaller scale, a hybrid super-storm was born. Thankfully, this typhoon had downgraded to a tropical depression by the time it hit Himeji. The weather was still pheno

Autumn 2014: Himeji Castle and Koko-en

I couldn't resist visiting the Koko-en again! The many different kinds of trees start changing into their autumn colors at different times, so the garden is always different this time of year! It was a sunny day when I stopped by the Koko-en, but a foggy one when I visited Himeji Castle. I still got a few decent photographs, though! Not so much to say this time, so I'll just let the photos do the talking. Himeji Castle A view of the park outside one of the outer moats.  I climbed up the castle walls and got this view of the Koko-en garden from below. It looks stunning! One of the new kittens I've seen hanging around outside the castle. This one has a large chunk of his tail missing... (it's definitely not just a bob-tail cat variety, the photo doesn't show it clearly, though.).  Koko-en