Skip to main content

Photo Journal: Himeji Castle and Koko-en


This morning I visited Himeji Castle and the neighboring Koko-en (Japanese Garden). It's about a 10 minute bike ride from the Shirasagi Residence, which is pretty cool.

 I was given a very awesome tour by two locals: Toshi and Keiko! They were very cool! Toshi had a lot of information about the defensive mechanisms behind this castle, which are supposed to make it impregnable. Since it was never invaded (none of the Japanese ever had the courage to try!), it's hard to say how well this castle would have stood in an actual invasion. Personally, I wouldn't want to try and besiege this castle, either; it's design is that impressive!


Fun fact: this castle survived a bombing during WWII, the only time it's defenses have ever been tried.

Anyway, on to the best part, the photos! I'll explain aspects of some of them along the way!

This is the view from the main gate, looking at the Inner Moat. There are three moats surrounding Himeji Castle, but this is the only one left intact. The second moat would have been along the main street, and the third moat would reach out all the way to the trains station. In other words: the original castle grounds were massive. 
 This is a map showing the original layout of the castle grounds. Some of those buildings are no longer there. 
 The main tower of the castle is currently under renovation. They've been re-roofing and re-plastering it. It's scheduled to be open again by March 2015, though the scaffolding will slowly start to be taken down starting in December 2013. 



 Can you see the face in the left wall? In Feudal Japan, they believed that inside of large rocks and trees resided spirits. So this rock face is supposed to protect the castle. 

 Here's a closeup of some of the roof tiles. They are all engraved with the symbols of the various lords who once resided in Himeji Castle. I believe there were about 32 different lords living here in one time. 



 Here's the view of the city from the 8th floor of the scaffolding. The second moat would be along the street you see going left and right. The tall building at the end of the long straight street (the main street) is JR Station, which marks the edge of where the third moat once was. 




 This is the view from inside the scaffolding, looking at the roof of the main tower. They're nearly done renovating it! But tearing this scaffolding down is a process that will take well over a year to accomplish, since it must be done so carefully! 

 See those rectangle slats? They're for dropping hot water down onto enemies' heads. No oil-and-pitch here, this castle is made entirely of wood. 
 There were a few lingering cherry trees in bloom, so I snapped this photo! I'm very proud of it! 
 The walls are embedded with four kinds of "holes" in them: squares, rectangles, circles, and triangles. This allows the castle defenders to shoot down onto the enemies below. 
 These plants are a kind of lily, which bloom in June. Originally, the castle had no walking paths, and these lilies covered the grounds. They are very slippery, and have weak root systems, which help to trip up enemy samurai, which would be wearing heavy armor. We talked a lot about "functional beauty" in the design of this castle. 

 The center tile has a unique engraving compared with the rest of the castle: it features a Christian Cross. This shows some of the influence Christianity had on Feudal Japan. 






This last building is the castle that Princess Sen lived in. She is a very famous Princess here in Himeji, and she has a pretty cool love story, too! 

And now for photos of the Koko-en, or Japanese Garden. My camera unfortunately ran out of batteries when I worked my way through the first of the gardens (there were 9 in total). I'll definitely visit again sometime, perhaps in spring, so that I can photograph the other 8 gardens! 

There was a lot of similarity with the Japanese Friendship Garden in Phoenix, which is now open. Once the weather cools off, I suggest visiting there and pretending that you're in Japan! :) 












And that's just a fraction of the photos I took, but I think they were some of the best ones. I managed about 400 photos in the space of a few hours... and maybe 200 of them came out decently. Tomorrow I'll be participating in the neighborhood festival, so I'll be taking even more photos!

In the meanwhile, Pokemon X is calling my name. I won't lie: quite a few of us ALT's are playing the new Pokemon Games. And my students are already planning trades with me. Being nerdy is way cooler here in Japan!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Leaves and Castle Cats

Here's a bunch of long overdue photos from the last two weeks! The autumn leaves have been absolutely stunning! The mountainsides are turning all sorts of colors, which makes them even more stunning than usual. I did my best to photograph the one that you can see from Shirasagi's garden, which is right outside of my apartment. The leaves are finally starting to fall from most of the trees these days, but the colors were beautiful while they lasted! Below are a bunch of photos of the bike paths next to the Himeji Castle Moat, which were surrounded by trees in stunning shades of red and gold. This is definitely the scenic route to get to downtown in Himeji! Unfortunately, I'm still not quite sure of all of the twists and turns through neighborhoods that it involves to get to the back entrance of this pathway, but once I'm on it I can orient myself via the castle.  This area is always full of joggers, bikers, and... cats. Stray cats, for t

Typhoons, Sports Day, and Elementary Schools: One Week Condensed Into a Single Blog Post

It's been awhile since my last post, for which I apologize! Things got rather hectic after I made my last blog post, and it's really taken me until now to feel settled down--and to acquire some videos to share with you all! Let's start with a picture: the entrance to Hirohata Junior High School. I'll have more photos coming soon! First off, let's recap a bit of what happened last week. I wrote about how on Wednesday, I'd be having my first lesson. That was a lie. Instead, I had my first day where the weather was "bad enough" for even teachers to have to leave school early. We had something of a "super storm" that day, with a typhoon making landfall at the same time as a storm front was moving through the area--and rather like Hurricane Sandy, but on a (fortunately) smaller scale, a hybrid super-storm was born. Thankfully, this typhoon had downgraded to a tropical depression by the time it hit Himeji. The weather was still pheno

A Snowy Day in Asago

Yesterday, February 11th, was "Foundation Day" in Japan, which meant that there wasn't school that day. A few of us Phoenician ALT's got together and split money to rent a car, and we drove out to Asago  to see the Takeda Castle Ruins .  When we left Himeji at 6:30am, it was just starting to snow; by the time we had driven north to Asago, the snow was falling much more heavily, with easily several inches sticking to the ground. We could see the Takeda Castle at the top of the mountain, and I could have sworn I could see what looked to be the specks of people walking along it, but due to the snow the route was closed. However, we did climb up as far as we could go, and saw a few shrines and a temple along the way! The snow was well worth it, though none of us were overly prepared for it, considering the forecast had said it would be sunny. We didn't stay in Asago long, and ended up driving to Kobe to go shopping at the Costco. Japanese Costco's aren't