Skip to main content

ただいま! I'm back!


It's been a long two years, but I have once again returned to Himeji via Phoenix Sister Cities! Please pardon the dust as I redesign the blog and catch up from some missing posts!

Tentative to do list:

  • Summarize trip to Ogasawara Islands! It's been two years, but my memories are still crystal clear, and the photos are stunning. 
  • Add some Mt. Shosha photos from 9/9/2017. It was great to go back!
  • Add some photos from Kakashi-no-sato (Scarecrow City, roughly). Although I didn't really photograph any of the scarecrows this time, I still had a wonderful time today (9/10) there!

I have approximately 750 photos from the last two days to sort through, so this will take some time. I've also got to dig up all my photos from Ogasawara (I probably took a couple thousand during my stay there...) and write a cohesive narrative for that multi-day trip. 

In the meantime, I'll just briefly talk about my return to Himeji. I'm still settling in, but it's been so fantastic to once again see all the wonderful people I had left behind. This time, I am teaching at Himeji High School. The campus is lovely, and I recognize some of my former middle school students (although they don't seem to recognize me with my much-shorter hair!). I just finished my first week of lessons, so I am still getting the hangs of things there. Sports Day is coming up, however, and I can't wait to see it! 

I've taken a few morning walks around the castle grounds, and the castle cats are as active as ever! I just bought a new phone and I'm still learning how to use the camera on it, but it seems to take some pretty decent photos! I use it to take quick shots of the cats on my walk while I play Pokemon Go (there is an insane amount of Pokemon in Himeji, as well as Pokemon Go players. It's truly a blast!). 

The weather seems to be cooling off now, which is great, as it felt as if I've spent most of my time here melting. Phoenix may be hotter than Himeji, but this humidity is not something I can ever seem to get used to. I also seem to be single-handedly sustaining the mosquito population in Himeji with each day bringing at least 3 - 4 new mosquito bites in bizarre corners of my body. 

Anyway, I'll write more as I settle in and figure out my routines. Right now, I'm spending most of my time working or hanging out with old friends before collapsing into bed. Here's a few photos from my phone that I've taken in the past three weeks:

I had a brief (~5 minutes) stop at Nagoyama Temple shortly after I landed (~8/21). It seemed fitting that this would be the first place I should visit!

Spotted this fellow resting on a bench early in the morning outside the Himeji Zoo. 

This kitten knows how to pose!

Couldn't think of a better place to take a cat nap!

Himeji Castle in all of its unboxed glory! I can't wait until the weather cools off and I can photograph it properly! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Leaves and Castle Cats

Here's a bunch of long overdue photos from the last two weeks! The autumn leaves have been absolutely stunning! The mountainsides are turning all sorts of colors, which makes them even more stunning than usual. I did my best to photograph the one that you can see from Shirasagi's garden, which is right outside of my apartment. The leaves are finally starting to fall from most of the trees these days, but the colors were beautiful while they lasted! Below are a bunch of photos of the bike paths next to the Himeji Castle Moat, which were surrounded by trees in stunning shades of red and gold. This is definitely the scenic route to get to downtown in Himeji! Unfortunately, I'm still not quite sure of all of the twists and turns through neighborhoods that it involves to get to the back entrance of this pathway, but once I'm on it I can orient myself via the castle.  This area is always full of joggers, bikers, and... cats. Stray cats, for t

Typhoons, Sports Day, and Elementary Schools: One Week Condensed Into a Single Blog Post

It's been awhile since my last post, for which I apologize! Things got rather hectic after I made my last blog post, and it's really taken me until now to feel settled down--and to acquire some videos to share with you all! Let's start with a picture: the entrance to Hirohata Junior High School. I'll have more photos coming soon! First off, let's recap a bit of what happened last week. I wrote about how on Wednesday, I'd be having my first lesson. That was a lie. Instead, I had my first day where the weather was "bad enough" for even teachers to have to leave school early. We had something of a "super storm" that day, with a typhoon making landfall at the same time as a storm front was moving through the area--and rather like Hurricane Sandy, but on a (fortunately) smaller scale, a hybrid super-storm was born. Thankfully, this typhoon had downgraded to a tropical depression by the time it hit Himeji. The weather was still pheno

Autumn 2014: Himeji Castle and Koko-en

I couldn't resist visiting the Koko-en again! The many different kinds of trees start changing into their autumn colors at different times, so the garden is always different this time of year! It was a sunny day when I stopped by the Koko-en, but a foggy one when I visited Himeji Castle. I still got a few decent photographs, though! Not so much to say this time, so I'll just let the photos do the talking. Himeji Castle A view of the park outside one of the outer moats.  I climbed up the castle walls and got this view of the Koko-en garden from below. It looks stunning! One of the new kittens I've seen hanging around outside the castle. This one has a large chunk of his tail missing... (it's definitely not just a bob-tail cat variety, the photo doesn't show it clearly, though.).  Koko-en